Sunday, July 24, 2011

To all my D5 people??

Ok so this will be my first time implementing D5 and The Cafe ... I am super excited about it, but I have some questions for those of you who have done it before and might have some suggestions for me ...

A little background first -- I will be departmentalized teaching reading/social studies ... so I will see 2 different classes each day.  Soooooo here are my questions??

** For my Cafe do I  just share the board for both classes?  I'm just thinking for when I introduce a skill for the 1st time and add it to the board ... I guess for the afternoon class I could take the skill down and re-introduce it or just wait to put it on the board??

** Book Bins -- I have a decent size classroom library but not huge by any means, how many books at minimum should the kids keep in their bins, I'm worried I wont have enough for 2 classes to have filled at the same time.

Thanks for your help, it's hard to visualize how this will work being I have not done it with one class and I'll be doing it for 2!!

2 comments:

  1. I'd recommend the same CAFE board, and my suggestion for the T chart would be to make rough drafts from each section and then one board...I use presentation (foam) boards for my final T charts. I can use the from and back of the boards and students can go up and look at them if necessary...and it's nice to then have if someone needs a reminder. Sometimes I think my room gets too busy with bulletin board 'stuff'.

    I ran across this site today...
    http://www.sanjuan.edu/webpages/gguthrie/balanced_literacy.cfm?subpage=127464

    I do Read to Self every day...and then Listen to Reading and Read with Someone as choices if all work is done.

    For book bins I have my 4th graders have 2 chapter books, 1 picture book, & a magazine or two. We check out books at the beginning of the day. I have a rather extensive library but I still encourage students to bring books from home, a friend, etc.

    What I like best is the CAFE menu and conferencing while students are reading. I have 23 students this year and if it's like last year my better students only conference 1-2 times every 2 weeks.

    Pat

    A Time to Share & Create


    MY WEBSITE

    Fabulous 4th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you I didn't even think about the t-charts!

    ReplyDelete